Friday 21 April 2017

My Bilum

by IPHIGENIA SOABA
(A poem about bilum)  


I love my bilum
Because it was given to me by my big sister 
And I love my big sister too.

My bilum is purple 
My favourite colour
I carry my bilum everywhere 
To school
To church or just to spin around
To show the beautiful colours it has.

My friends admire my bilum
And so do I.

I love my bilum.

A grandmother with her bilum carrying her grandchild. Image: Arosame Wawe‎ / 2017.

A girl with her bilum. Image: Aderf McFadden Wurr / April, 2017.

Two girls with their bilums for a selfie. Image: Anzzgillah Kewa / March, 2017.

A girl with her bilum. Image: Hela Wandarii Tunzup Nong / March, 2017.

A girl with her bilum. Image: Ray Ray Relvee / March, 2017.

A girl with her bilum. Image: Marielisha Ilai / 2017.

A boy with his bilum. Image: Dan Wairin / 2017. 
  • Poem extracted from the book "Twisting Knowledge and Emotions: Modern Bilums of Papua New Guinea" edited by Nicolas Garnier. The University of Papua New Guinea, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment